The jobholder is required to direct and oversee the editing and publication of their journal through the leadership of a team of Deputy Managing Editors and Scientific Editors/Scientific Copy Editors, ensuring operational adherence to the organisation’s working methods, procedures and systems.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Day to day handling of the journal
- Leading a team of Deputy Managing Editors and Scientific Editors/Scientific Copy Editors, including the provision of editorial and management support.
- Evaluating the output of Scientific Editors/Scientific Copy Editors, providing feedback on this output and dealing with productivity issues.
- Delivering one-to-one meetings with team members to provide support and discuss progress.
- Monitoring attendance and absence.
- Performing regular evaluations of Scientific Editors/Scientific Copy Editors. Ensuring that feedback reports are correct and delivered in a timely fashion.
- Performing the first/second edit of articles, ensuring the production of a well written, consistent and factually correct paper.
- Ensuring that new and existing team members are adequately trained, mentored and coached to an acceptable standard.
- Evaluating Scientific Editors/Scientific Copy Editors in training prior to independence.
- Evaluating the performance of copy editors prior to the 6-month probation period.
- Conducting interviews for internal positions and exit interviews.
- Liaising with Managing Editors and the Senior Production Editor
- Acting as final arbiter of production values for the journal, including overseeing consistency with the in-house style
- When required, checking factual content and where necessary, raising queries with the Deputy Editor in Chief (UK)
- Confirming potential statistical issues for correction by the authors.
- Confirming potential problems with plagiarism, animal ethics, patient consent and figure manipulation, and alerting the Senior Executive Editor or Deputy Editor in Chief (UK) to potential issues
- Adapting to a range of one-off tasks as and when requested by the Deputy Editor in Chief.
Education, qualifications, knowledge
Science degree or equivalent (PhD preferred).
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Mac OS
- Exceptional organisational skills
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- >1 year of experience as a Scientific Editor/Scientific Copy Editor
- Motivated and resourceful
- Courteous and diplomatic
- Confident and friendly
- Takes a pride in a job done well
- Enjoys working within, and across, teams
- A willingness to maintain a level of scientific knowledge appropriate to the role
- The capacity to lead and motivate teams
- A credible and persuasive interpersonal style in order to effect robust relationships with team members and other colleagues
- The capacity to maintain personal equilibrium when faced with a range of issues requiring urgent attention.
Please send your CV and a cover letter, stating salary expectations and quoting the job reference (SP/ME/SP) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spandidos Publications offers a competitive salary and benefits package including 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, 35 hour working week, flexible working from home, contributory pension scheme, private health insurance, discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, weekly fresh fruits, an employee support programme and season ticket loan depending on conditions.
Spandidos Publications is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.