Symptoms at diagnosis as independent prognostic factors in retroperitoneal liposarcoma

  • Authors:
    • Satoru Taguchi
    • Haruki Kume
    • Hiroshi Fukuhara
    • Teppei Morikawa
    • Shigenori Kakutani
    • Yuta Takeshima
    • Hideyo Miyazaki
    • Motofumi Suzuki
    • Tetsuya Fujimura
    • Tohru Nakagawa
    • Akira Ishikawa
    • Yasuhiko Igawa
    • Yukio Homma
  • View Affiliations

  • Published online on: December 8, 2015     https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2015.701
  • Pages: 255-260
Metrics: Total Views: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )
Total PDF Downloads: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )


Abstract

The prognostic factors of retroperitoneal liposarcoma have yet to be clearly determined due to its rarity, whereas the prognostic value of symptoms at diagnosis has never been evaluated to date. In this context, we reviewed 24 consecutive patients with primary retroperitoneal liposarcoma who underwent surgical resection with curative intent at our institution. The Kaplan‑Meier analysis and the log‑rank test were used to estimate progression‑free survival (PFS; primary endpoint) and sarcoma‑specific survival (SSS; secondary endpoint). The effect of various clinicopathological factors, including symptoms at diagnosis, on these two endpoints was assessed with a Cox proportional hazards model. During the study period, 11 patients (45.8%) developed recurrence after the initial surgery and 8 (33.3%) succumbed to retroperitoneal liposarcoma, with a median follow‑up of 64 months. A total of 16 patients (66.7%) had symptoms at diagnosis, while the remaining 8 (33.3%) were diagnosed incidentally. The symptoms were palpability of the tumor (n=8); abdominal pain̸fullness (n=3); flank pain̸fullness (n=2); lower extremity pain (n=1); testicular pain due to varicocele (n=1); and discomfort on urination (n=1). Patients with symptoms at diagnosis were significantly more likely to develop recurrence (log‑rank test, P=0.0196) and were also more likely to succumb to sarcoma (P=0.0778) compared with asymptomatic patients. On the multivariate analysis, symptoms at diagnosis and dedifferentiated components were independent predictors of poor PFS, while positive surgical margins were predictors of poor SSS. Given that symptoms at diagnosis are easily accessible for physicians, they may prove to be useful additional prognostic factors for primary retroperitoneal liposarcoma.
View Figures
View References

Related Articles

Journal Cover

February 2016
Volume 4 Issue 2

Print ISSN: 2049-9450
Online ISSN:2049-9469

Sign up for eToc alerts

Recommend to Library

Copy and paste a formatted citation
APA
Taguchi, S., Kume, H., Fukuhara, H., Morikawa, T., Kakutani, S., Takeshima, Y. ... Homma, Y. (2016). Symptoms at diagnosis as independent prognostic factors in retroperitoneal liposarcoma. Molecular and Clinical Oncology, 4, 255-260. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2015.701
MLA
Taguchi, S., Kume, H., Fukuhara, H., Morikawa, T., Kakutani, S., Takeshima, Y., Miyazaki, H., Suzuki, M., Fujimura, T., Nakagawa, T., Ishikawa, A., Igawa, Y., Homma, Y."Symptoms at diagnosis as independent prognostic factors in retroperitoneal liposarcoma". Molecular and Clinical Oncology 4.2 (2016): 255-260.
Chicago
Taguchi, S., Kume, H., Fukuhara, H., Morikawa, T., Kakutani, S., Takeshima, Y., Miyazaki, H., Suzuki, M., Fujimura, T., Nakagawa, T., Ishikawa, A., Igawa, Y., Homma, Y."Symptoms at diagnosis as independent prognostic factors in retroperitoneal liposarcoma". Molecular and Clinical Oncology 4, no. 2 (2016): 255-260. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2015.701