Clinical predictive value of in vitro anticancer drug sensitivity test for the therapeutic effect of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with stage II-III colorectal cancer

  • Authors:
    • Eiji Mekata
    • Hiromichi Sonoda
    • Tomoharu Shimizu
    • Takeshi Tatsuta
    • Tomohiro Yamaguchi
    • Yoshihiro Endo
    • Tohru Tani
  • View Affiliations

  • Published online on: April 11, 2013     https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2013.102
  • Pages: 763-767
Metrics: Total Views: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )
Total PDF Downloads: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )


Abstract

Clinically useful predictors of the efficacy of adjuvant chemotherapy following curative colorectal surgery remain to be determined. In the present study, we investigated the clinical utility of the collagen gel droplet‑embedded culture drug sensitivity test (CD‑DST) as a predictor of the therapeutic response to 5‑fluorouracil (5‑FU)‑based adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with stage II‑III colorectal cancer. CD‑DST was conducted using tumor samples surgically obtained from 189 patients. The therapeutic effect of 5‑FU‑based regimens between high (high‑group) and low (low‑group) sensitivity groups and a group that did not receive chemotherapy [CTx(-) group] was compared. CD‑DST was successfully performed in 151 out of the 189 patients (79.9%), 87 of whom received 5‑FU‑based adjuvant chemotherapy after surgery. Twenty‑seven of these 87 patients (31.0%) were classified as the high‑group and the remaining 60 (69.0%) as the low‑group. The 5‑year recurrence‑free survival (RFS) in the high‑group was significantly higher compared to that in the low‑ and the CTx(-) groups. No differences in the 5‑year RFS were observed between the low‑ and CTx(-) groups. In conclusion, CD‑DST appears to be useful for predicting the therapeutic response to 5‑FU‑based adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with stage II‑III colorectal cancer.
View Figures
View References

Related Articles

Journal Cover

July 2013
Volume 1 Issue 4

Print ISSN: 2049-9450
Online ISSN:2049-9469

Sign up for eToc alerts

Recommend to Library

Copy and paste a formatted citation
APA
Mekata, E., Sonoda, H., Shimizu, T., Tatsuta, T., Yamaguchi, T., Endo, Y., & Tani, T. (2013). Clinical predictive value of in vitro anticancer drug sensitivity test for the therapeutic effect of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with stage II-III colorectal cancer. Molecular and Clinical Oncology, 1, 763-767. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2013.102
MLA
Mekata, E., Sonoda, H., Shimizu, T., Tatsuta, T., Yamaguchi, T., Endo, Y., Tani, T."Clinical predictive value of in vitro anticancer drug sensitivity test for the therapeutic effect of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with stage II-III colorectal cancer". Molecular and Clinical Oncology 1.4 (2013): 763-767.
Chicago
Mekata, E., Sonoda, H., Shimizu, T., Tatsuta, T., Yamaguchi, T., Endo, Y., Tani, T."Clinical predictive value of in vitro anticancer drug sensitivity test for the therapeutic effect of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with stage II-III colorectal cancer". Molecular and Clinical Oncology 1, no. 4 (2013): 763-767. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2013.102