ELF REGIMEN IN ADVANCED GASTROINTESTINAL MALIGNANCIES - AN ANALYSIS OF ITS CLINICAL EFFECTIVENESS AND TOXICITY

  • Authors:
    • V GEBBIA
    • C SCIUME
    • G CANNATA
    • G CURTO
    • R VALENZA
    • A TESTA
    • C CIPOLLA
    • A CUSUMANO
    • F VERDERAME
    • S FORTUNATO
    • G DIGESU
    • P LEO
    • N GEBBIA
  • View Affiliations

  • Published online on: February 1, 1994     https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.4.2.411
  • Pages: 411-415
Metrics: Total Views: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )
Total PDF Downloads: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )


Abstract

A multi-institutional phase 11 study of the combination of levofolinic acid 100 mg/m2, VP16 120 mg/m2 and 5-fluorouracil 500 mg/m2 for 3 consecutive days was carried out on a series of 73 evaluable patients with low performance status affected by locally advanced and/or metastatic gastrointestinal carcinomas. Site of primary tumor were: stomach 26, large bowel 20, pancreas 16, gall-bladder 5, and liver 6. Among patients with gastric carcinoma, 2 patients (8%) had a complete response with a mean duration of 6.8+ months, and 9 (35%) had a partial response with a mean duration of 5.8+ months, for an overall response rate of 43%. Overall response rate was largely unsatisfactory in colorectal carcinoma (20%), pancreatic (12%), gall-bladder and liver carcinomas. The treatment was very well tolerated with no grade 4 toxicity over a total of 267 cycles administered. Grade 3 leukopenia was seen in 25% of cases, and grade 2 thrombocytopenia in 18%. Vomiting never exceeded grade 2. Thus, the ELF regimen is quite active in advanced gastric carcinoma, and may be recommended as palliative treatment of patients who cannot receive intensive chemotherapy. On the other hand, it cannot be considered active in colorectal, pancreatic, gall-bladder and liver carcinomas, and its use should be discouraged in these neoplasms.

Related Articles

Journal Cover

February 1994
Volume 4 Issue 2

Print ISSN: 1019-6439
Online ISSN:1791-2423

Sign up for eToc alerts

Recommend to Library

Copy and paste a formatted citation
APA
GEBBIA, V., SCIUME, C., CANNATA, G., CURTO, G., VALENZA, R., TESTA, A. ... GEBBIA, N. (1994). ELF REGIMEN IN ADVANCED GASTROINTESTINAL MALIGNANCIES - AN ANALYSIS OF ITS CLINICAL EFFECTIVENESS AND TOXICITY. International Journal of Oncology, 4, 411-415. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.4.2.411
MLA
GEBBIA, V., SCIUME, C., CANNATA, G., CURTO, G., VALENZA, R., TESTA, A., CIPOLLA, C., CUSUMANO, A., VERDERAME, F., FORTUNATO, S., DIGESU, G., LEO, P., GEBBIA, N."ELF REGIMEN IN ADVANCED GASTROINTESTINAL MALIGNANCIES - AN ANALYSIS OF ITS CLINICAL EFFECTIVENESS AND TOXICITY". International Journal of Oncology 4.2 (1994): 411-415.
Chicago
GEBBIA, V., SCIUME, C., CANNATA, G., CURTO, G., VALENZA, R., TESTA, A., CIPOLLA, C., CUSUMANO, A., VERDERAME, F., FORTUNATO, S., DIGESU, G., LEO, P., GEBBIA, N."ELF REGIMEN IN ADVANCED GASTROINTESTINAL MALIGNANCIES - AN ANALYSIS OF ITS CLINICAL EFFECTIVENESS AND TOXICITY". International Journal of Oncology 4, no. 2 (1994): 411-415. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.4.2.411